Have you reached that point with your wardrobe, where you can’t fit any more into your closet? It’s time for the clean out! But what do you throw out? Do you tend to find yourself stuck when it comes time to clean out your closet? Here’s a guide to what to get rid of.. And definitely check out the link below where you can sell / donate your clothes!
- Clothes for the other “you”. What does that mean? Clothes you’ve been saving that would’ve fit if you were different (skinnier, fatter, taller, shorter, etc). You can’t do a whole lot with clothing that’s too small (unless you’re on a weight loss program & have a specific goal in mind) other than to donate / give it away. Clothing that’s too big, you can always have altered to be made smaller / more fitted. For the larger sized clothing, you need to make that choice of a) getting rid of it, or b) keeping it, altering it, & deciding if it’s worth the money.
- Damaged goods. Clothes that are ripped, pilled beyond belief, discolored, permanently stained, has a hole in it, etc. Good news is that you can donate it the next time you go to H&M & get 15% off your next purchase! Click to read more about it!
- Clothes you’ve outgrown. I don’t mean just physically. But also clothes that you’re still holding onto from a different phase in your life. Are you still holding onto things from high school? What about clothes you got from your ex? At some point you have to get rid of the scrunchies & rainbow colored socks, & (ideally) move onto something more sophisticated.
- Clothing that you would “only wear at home”. Everyone of us has come across clothing that we would wear while cleaning, or wear just lounging around the house. Do yourself a favor & get rid of these. From my experience, you end up never wearing them anyway. The clothes that should be taking up your time & space should be ones that you enjoy wearing.
- Dupes. What do you mean, dupes? I mean clothes that are similar to each other. We all develop a specific set of style, & we end up buying clothes that are alike sometimes without even realizing it. I’m not talking about classics, or basics like t shirts, underwear, or black pants, etc. Pick a few favorites & donate / sell the rest.
- Clothes you haven’t wore in ages. Or wore only once & never again. Do you still have the cheap robes they gave you at graduation? Or a cocktail dress you wore once to a wedding & doesn’t fit anymore? Do you have old clothes from a job that you had 3 years ago (And haven’t worn since)? Time to move on from these babies. Sell them, donate them, & give someone else the chance to get some use out of them.
- Broken hangers.
- Empty shoe boxes (that you can’t get any use out of)
- Extra buttons that come with new clothes.
- Singles. Anything that supposed to come in a pair & you no longer have 1 of them: socks, earrings, etc.
I wrote an article once, how you can get organized with things you get for free! For ideas with i.e. wire hangers, shoe boxes, & more!
And what to do with the things you don’t want? You can sell them, donate them, or give them away. For a list of places where you can do these things, click on Clean Out Your Stuff! A List Where You Can Sell Or Donate Almost Anything You Own!
Is there anything else I should add to this list? Leave a comment below!